www.SkiHausOnline.com

www.SkiHausOnline.com
Info@skihausonline.com - Ph. 845-279-3100

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Apex Ski Boot Review by Pork Chop

    I had a chance to ski a pair of the new Apex MC X boots recently at the Stratton Mountain Trade Show. I am a strong, expert recreational skier and normally ski in Lange RS 130 boots. My boots are performance oriented; stiff and have a precise and technical fit. They fit so perfectly, that I must use the thinnest socks possible. If I use a regular ski sock, I will cramp up, but, with the thin sock, I am absolutely comfortable all day long. The boots are an extension of my leg and feet and transmit energy very efficiently to my skis.

     With that said, I was skeptical that the Apex boot, which is so comfortable, warm and easy to get on, could deliver enough performance to make me happy. I figured the trade-off in control would be huge. The sole length, (because Apex boots are really a snowboard boot with a removable frame), is about 16mm longer than a traditional boot. Therefore, theoretically, your leverage on the ski should be compromised. However, the reality is that, although there is a loss of some crispness (I wouldn't race using these boots), that loss is surprisingly minimal. I felt in total control and was able to feel the skis respond as I leveraged them from the balls of my feet. When I skied the boot, I didn't have my custom insoles, which would have made the performance even better.

     My conclusion was this: For those people who put a high priority on comfort; warmth and convenience, and perhaps have had some trouble over the years with all or some of these considerations, the Apex boots could be the answer. They are warmer than a traditional boot even with a $200+ heating system; they are extremely comfortable and very easy to get on and off. In addition, the frame can be removed to allow it to be as comfortable as an after ski boot for walking around or hanging out.

     If you would like to call me personally to discuss my experiences and thoughts on Apex ski boots, please feel free to give me a call at 845-279-3100. I have been in the ski industry for 42 years and by speaking to you personally, I can help accelerate your decision making by sifting out information that does not pertain to your specific needs. If you call, be sure to ask for Pork Chop!


Thanks for reading,
Pork Chop

Ph. 845.279.3100

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I'm an occasional skier and I've wasted a lot of money on boots that hurt. I'm giving serious thought to the lower end Apex skis (still almost $600). To me, performance is meaningless. I don't push for speed and control, I cruise on the mountain and have fun. If my feet are warm and comfortable, I'll ski more. If I ski more, I'll ski better. That outweighs the supposed performance I'd get from a different pair of boots.

    There are no Apex dealers within a hundred miles of me, but as it happens I'll be near one on a business trip next week. I think I'll plan to stop by and check these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you need any help. Apex ski boots have a guaranteed fit and I'm confident we can nail it on the first attempt. Thanks for reading my Apex ski boot review!

      -Pork Chop
      845.279.3100

      Delete